[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 16 09:06:00 UTC 2001

>Wow! Only 2 hours? It takes me more then 2.5 hours to get to work at the
>moment at a cost of over 100quid per week.

It takes me about an hour or so to get to work, at a cost of just
under 130 pounds a month. While Central London may be excessively
expensive, you can still find reasonably (well, OK, perhaps not
reasonably, but at least acceptably) priced accomodation in the
suburbs, within an hour's commute. FWIW, we're paying about 800 a
month for a 3 bedroom house in Harrow (as a mortgage). You can rent a
1 or 2 bedroom flat or a small house for significantly less than that.

Also, if you're prepared to settle for a "lesser" area, accomodation
is correspondingly cheaper. When I first moved back to London after
University, I lived in Stratford/Plaistow, because that's all I could
afford. It may not be the best area in the world, but it's affordable.

And if you're prepared to go south of the river, prices drop noticably
(mostly because the tube doesn't cover as much of the area).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk