[Gllug] speech synthesis

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Tue Aug 21 11:25:24 UTC 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Rob Andrews wrote:
> [Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 05:32:00PM -0400] ChrisJS at aol.com whispered thus:
>  > The only problem I had was with my soundcard not bein able to do hardware
>  > mixing, so if I was playing music, the ViaVoice output was squelched. If
>  > anybody knows of a way around this (I'm using eSound and xmms) I'd appreciate
>  > it...
>
> AFAIK there are no software duplex emulators, but you can have esd release
> the sound device when it's not using it.

One of the more useful things about esd is that it does multiplexing, it also
has a wrapper script for non-esd-aware programs:

[simon at hobgoblin sanbox]$ esddsp --help
esddsp - attempt to reroute audio device to esd

esddsp [options] player arguments

-h, --help                show brief help
-s, --server=HOST:PORT    contact esd server on host at port
-m, --mixer               enable mixer support
-n, --name=NAME           use name to identify player to esd
-v, --verbose             show parameters

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk