[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sat Aug 11 11:32:06 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:27:34AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> > I don't see much point in criticising users over this - silly them for
> > assuming that computers might be safe, reliable and easy to use.  The
>
> Silly ! - dam foolish - there is plenty of evidence to the contrary
> on all 3 counts!

As they eventually discover, whilst providing much amusement for cynical
IT staff and the fellow users/sufferers who have already been through it.

It's wrong to laugh at the computing virgin who writes a document and
then just turns off the computer, expecting it to be there when they
switch it back on.  That person was making a logical decision based on
their knowledge and experience.  From this point on they enter a world
where the rules are entirely counter-intuitive and only make sense if
you have a thorough understanding of the underlying technology.

This is a failing of the computer industry, not the user.  No other
technology makes such demands of the user or treats the user with such
contempt.  You don't have to know how the internal combustion engine
works to be a good driver (though a basic understanding of its concepts
may make you a better driver).  Yet the computer industry puts users in
much the same position as motorists from the beginning of the last
century, who needed to be able to make intricate adjustments to their
engines before they could even leave the garage.

> I think the problem here is that the responsibility is shared - Tech support
> and users have to work together and it is just too easy to see as someone elses
>  problem. In my last job I just couldn't convince management that security was
> even an issue, and the sending of executable 'funnies' was seen as an
> integral part of team building (we didn't even have backups at the time!).

An IT department should inspire fear and respect;)  I block executables
at the mta and am not questioned.  But then our proxy server blocks all
access to the microsoft.com domain.  This is a battle we have won.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"