[Gllug] Matrox G450?

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 2 16:01:08 UTC 2001

>Has anyone got one of these cards?  I'm most interested in 2D video
>performance -- in particular what the speed of switching between X
>desktops is like as I do this stacks.  DVD decoding/TV out is a nice
>bonus.

Yep, I've got one and it's the best card I've ever used for XFree86.
It's 2D performance (which lets face it, is 99% of what most people
use) is second to none. Switching desktops is very fast -- no problems
there. It's also got the clearest, crispest display output of any
card I've used. No idea about the DVD/TV-out stuff, 'coz I've never
used them.

Apparently, it's 3D performance isn't that good, but I think that's a
relative term. While it may not be as fast as the latest Nvidia cards,
it's more than adequate for pretty much everything. I guess if you
want to get 100 frames per second out of Q3A at 1600x1200, then its
not the card for you, but short of that, it's fine.

>Does it support all the X extensions?  In particular RENDER
>(anti-alias text in KDE), GLX/DRI?

Yep. According to xdpyinfo, it supports:

    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X3D-PEX
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-DRI
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XIE
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo

I'd recommend this card to anyone. As soon as my second monitor arrives,
I'll be trying it out dual headed, but even single headed, it's excellent.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk