[Gllug] Matrox G450?

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Fri Aug 3 11:12:05 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:50:24PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> Matrox cards have good 2D performance. I have (had) a G400, and desktop
> switching was as fast as anything else.

I'd second that. I had no problems with the 2d, even when running in
dual-head mode. In fact, the dual-head was pretty neat, allowing
different resoutions on each monitor. Very cool.

> Don't think the DVD decoding is supported though.

Never had a chance to find out, but a quick google doesn't look
hopeful. Having said that, there appears to be a few mutterings about
mod_mga in the LIVID mailing list archives, especially in the last
couple of months.

> >Does it support all the X extensions?  In particular RENDER
> >(anti-alias text in KDE), GLX/DRI?
>
> DRI support is in XFree86 4.x. I found it a bit flaky, hence my switch to
> GeForce2 MX based card and drivers. That was with 4.0.2, though. The
> drivers have probably stablised somewhat in 4.1.0.

I had no problems with 4.0.2 and DRI on a 16MB G450. Great for a
little quake 2 (full screen, 1024x768 resolution with a reasonable
frame-rate) after hours.

The only "gotcha" was that DRI and dual-head (at least with seperate
resolutions on each monitor) doesn't work. I had to use only of the
displays, and let the other idle.

> If you want fast 3D, go with GeForce2 MX, as they are just as cheap.

Out of curiousity: how's the ATI Radeon look to you lot? According to
the DRI project on Sourceforge, 3D acceleration is supported, and with
ATI ramping up to releasing the Radeon 2 the price should drop
soon. Cheap and open source, sounds good to me, but anyone know any
better?

Cheers,

Simon

--
"My house is made out of balsa wood. When no one is home across the
street, except the little kids, I out and lift my house up over my

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk