[Gllug] FreeBSD - errrm this might be slightly OT ;-)

Dan Kolb daniel.kolb at corpus-christi.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:31:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> I have just been given responsibility for the company's FreeBSD
> mailserver.  None of the windows guys wanted it even though they do all
> the company mail.
>
> Updating packages in Linux I would use aptget, rpm or source.
>
> Is there anything similar in FreeBSD?  Or is it all source?

As mentioned before, the ports collection builds software (+
dependencies) from source. However, there are a number of pre-compiled
packages available from your favorite FTP mirror of
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/
Have a look at the direcoties most appropriate to your release version.

> I believe that the server has not been updated in a while and
> consequently probably needs it now :-)

As for upgrading the system - the best way is to get it done by source
from CVS, and a rebuild. Or, if you don't want to do that, get yourself
4.3-RELEASE from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/ or
an ISO image from /ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/

If you get the individual files (rather than the ISO), then you need to
run 'install.sh' from each of the directories.

Hope this helps :-)

Dan
dankolb at ox.compsoc.net

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk