[Gllug] Whinge

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Thu Aug 30 13:50:53 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:24:50PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > What's a 'meaty' package by your definition?
> Something substantial, not written by Microsoft.

Autocad. No reboots required and that's a hulk of a program.

>> Office? Installs without even a reboot.

> I have installed Office 2000 twice in the last couple of weeks on W2K
> hosts - it took a reboot in both cases.

I installed Office 2000 (with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and full
VBA) on 17 machines last week and one required a reboot due to having been
upgraded to an Office 2000 beta and then to full Office 2000. Not sure what
you installed but it must have been pretty major or the box had to have
been fscked before that.

I'm not disputing that you required a reboot on your box but just pointing
out its not common anymore, also the fact that you needed to reboot on both
occasions may mean something else is amiss.

> It's hillariously funny.

No its not, and even if it were this wouldn't be the place for it.

> So what? I don't care if nobody ever "converts" again

And thankfully that's a minority view. Also i like the term migrates since
this is software not a religion. Despite threads to the contrary.

> getting the most users you possibly can - that's what M$ try to do.

And they do it well. I've yet to see them post a profit warning this year.

> > Not good advocacy, is it?
Neither is Slashdot but it seems popular.

	Dean (A Windows, Linux and OpenBSD user.)
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk