[Gllug] Linux on the BBC (news site, not the computer, sorry!)

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Mon Aug 20 10:56:33 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 12:41:03PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

<snip>

>    IT units serve discrete areas, and work independantly, although other
> areas may need to access the results. There is as much variation between the
> different sections as anywhere else, although I do hear persistent rumours
> that the research department is actively engaged in Linux development.

I know for a fact that various departments within the BBC use Linux
for a variety of purposes --- typically for web serving. I also know
that the at least one research department was using Linux for
development as long ago as 1997; I've helped debug some of their code
while working for Classic.

As far as the IT side of things goes, the beeb appear to have some
very competent people working for them, though the resources are a
little limited.

Wasn't there a spate of articles about this a while ago?

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/1/

Would be a good place to start....

Cheers,

Simon

--
"When I was a child... We had a quick-sand box in the backyard...... I
was an only child........ eventually....." --- Steven Wright

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk