[Gllug] Matrox G450?

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Thu Aug 2 15:50:24 UTC 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

>Has anyone got one of these cards?  I'm most interested in 2D video
>performance -- in particular what the speed of switching between X
>desktops is like as I do this stacks.  DVD decoding/TV out is a nice
>bonus.

Matrox cards have good 2D performance. I have (had) a G400, and desktop
switching was as fast as anything else.

Don't think the DVD decoding is supported though.

>Does it support all the X extensions?  In particular RENDER
>(anti-alias text in KDE), GLX/DRI?

DRI support is in XFree86 4.x. I found it a bit flaky, hence my switch to
GeForce2 MX based card and drivers. That was with 4.0.2, though. The
drivers have probably stablised somewhat in 4.1.0.

>I'm most impressed with the Matrox site saying they support Linux.
>Yes support!  Who woulda thunk it?

If you run a hi-res screen (>1024x768), and don't do too much 3D work
(Matrox DRI is fast enough to play QuakeIII at low resolution) then I can
recommend Matrox cards. Their picture quality is streets ahead of GeForce
cards.

If you want fast 3D, go with GeForce2 MX, as they are just as cheap.

--
    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk