[Gllug] focus control in KDE

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 10:33:10 UTC 2001

On , 22 Aug 2001, Nix wrote:
>Am I the only one who finds GNOME's session manager (and/or the X
>session management protocol) to be impoverished to the point of
>uselessness?

No. I handle this primarily by never logging out. :-)

[Really, I start the things that would have been started by my
.xsession in the Gnome 'non session managed startup programs' - then
they don't get cloned with every logout and back in.]

But I don't really use Gnome as Gnome; I have the panel around (at the
_side_ of the screen, so it doesn't eat vertical real estate as in the
stupid default) as a convenient program launcher, clock, CPU/memory
monitor, desk guide (something where I think sawfish's minimalism goes
Too Far), etc.; and I have another minimised panel with the tasklist
in, because you can never have too many ways of finding windows; but I
don't really use 'Gnome applications' at all. Who needs anything but
xterms and emacsen, anyway?

[Plus, on this Sun, it's GNOME or CDE; and I'd rather cut off my own
toes than use CDE.]

>env DISPLAY=$HOSTDISPLAY XAUTHORITY=/home/nix/.Xauthority ssh amaterasu procmeter3 -geometry 100x704+2087+973 Statistics.CPU_User-g Statistics.CPU_User-t Statistics.CPU_System-g Statistics.CPU_System-t Processes.Load-g Processes.Load-t Processes.Forks-g Processes.Forks-t Statistics.Context-g Statistics.Context-t Statistics.Interrupts-g Statistics.Interrupts-t Statistics.Page-g Statistics.Page-t Statistics.Swap-g Statistics.Swap-t Statistics.Disk-g Statistics.Disk-t Date_Time.Uptime_DHM Network.Pkt_Rx_eth1-g Network.Pkt_Rx_eth1-t Network.Pkt_Tx_eth1-g Network.Pkt_Tx_eth1-t ProcMeter.Version
>Environment variables, a different host, and command-line
>parameters. Oh, and I'd like this procmeter to appear on a specific
>desktop and be stuck to that desktop, while another one (which isn't
>ssh'd) should follow me around from desk to desk, stickily.
>I can't find *anything* that can handle that other than fvwm2 or raw
>Lisp in sawfish.

In recent sawfishes, the stickiness of these procmeters might be
doable with the 'Matching Windows' options, without a need for Lisp.

>Certainly nothing that relies on GNOME's insipid
>program-starting stuff could start that correctly that I can see.

Have the 'non session managed startup programs' include a script that DTRT?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk