[Gllug] speech synthesis

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Wed Aug 22 09:34:50 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 04:57:31PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > and some of them are wicked

> I was thinking about how difficult it would be to create a jcm voice

Please god no! :)

> diphone just out of a weird fascination I seem to have with the idea. I
> know nothing about how to do this but apparently it can be done by
> ordinary people so I think I should look in to this :)

Kevin Lenzo (Founder of YAPC and Festival Hacker) did a demonstration of
festival and some related open source technologies at last years YAPC to
build a fully functional speaking clock with the voice of someone from the
audience.

While Lenzo is amazing with festival the fact that it took him half an hour
to pull this off means that anyone should be able to do it within a day or
so.

Festivals nice but i always get a noticeable distortion in the voice, no
matter what speed settings i apply. :(

	Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk