[Gllug] (OT) Basic Networking Query

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 00:11:07 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 23:23, Andy Loates wrote:

> Looking around for cables i've seen that there is a considerable difference
> in cost between UTP (40 GBP / 305m) and Cat5 UTP (130 GBP / 305). Is there a
> reason for this and will the cheaper version work OK on my set up. The 3 low
> use boxes are some 20 - 25m away from the server & eth switch. If as i
> suspect the cheap UTP wont support 100mbps I could possibly use CAT5 patch
> cables between the server/my workstation and the hub which will be all in
> the same area . Would this work or is there a better solution.

Cat 5 is rated to support 100Mbps. Other UTP may or may not, but isn't
the "correct" cable. Remember that you're allowed 100m between
hub/switch and machine, so you may be able to run 100Mbps over the
cheaper cable with only 20m cable runs. Real Cat 5 has so many
twists/metre, certain impedance limits, etc, etc.

As far as cost difference goes, Videk (www.videk.co.uk) sell 305m solid
core Cat 5E for 36.50ukp. The really expensive stuff runs to 130ukp, but
both these cables are rated to Cat5E specs. All of this stuff will
support 100Mbps quite happily. If you want to be extravagant, but solid
core for laying to outlets, and stranded for making up patch cables.
Don't buy a cheap crimping tool - you'll regret it, and end up buying a
better one later (I speak from experience :-)).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk