[GLLUG] Token ring W95 PC's losing connection

Davies Sue sue.davies at lbbd.gov.uk
Tue Dec 18 13:54:15 UTC 2001

Hi

A strange thing happened here this morning, the Redhat file server we are
testing became inacessible to Win95 PC's on the token ring side of our
network.  The NT workstations were fine, as was the ethernet side.  I
couldn't see anything wrong with the server and the guys in comms couldn't
find anything either so we took the microsoft way out and rebooted.  Once
the server came back up the machine and all the shares became accessible to
the W95 Token ring machines.  This also happens from time to time with other
servers although it never seems to affect the Netware boxes.

Could anyone suggest what might have caused it, I hadn't touched the server
in weeks and the Comms guys said they haven't touched anything either.  I'd
like to know in case it happens again especially since the order for the
first linux production box went in today.

Thanks

Suzanne Davies
Technical Support Officer
IS & T
Civic Centre, Wood Lane, Dagenham, Essex, RM10
Tel: 0208 227 2737
Mobile : 07968 521262

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk