[Gllug] Kernel compiling / ALSA

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 10:20:18 UTC 2001

I've been playing around with compiling kernels, mainly in an effort to
get firewire/ieee1394 working. I'm getting problems with the ALSA sound
module which I think might be related to the version I've got not
working with newer kernels (2.4.14+)

I'm not totally sure I'm doing it right where the "external" modules are
concerned.

Does this look right?:

1) in the /usr/src/ directory I've got dirs like linux-2.4.8.
linux-2.4.13, alsa, NVidia. I read you should only have one kernel
source here because of header files or something but I've not run into
problems yet. I did create a symlink linux -> linux-2.4.13, where
linux-2.4.13 is the kernel I'm compiling, which seemed to be necessary
for kernel patches to work.
2) cd /usr/src/linux
3) make mrproper
4) make xconfig
5) make dep
6) make bzImage
7) cp ./arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.13
8) make modules
9) make modules_install
10) [edit /etc/lilo.conf]
11) /sbin/lilo
12) /sbin/reboot (to command prompt)
13) Now I'm in the new kernel, I cd /usr/src/alsa and do "make" to
compile the alsa modules, then cd /usr/src/NVidia and do "make" to
compile the NVidia modules. Now X starts OK, and sound works.

The main questions are: Am I doing the alsa and NVidia module
compilation at the right time (it seems to work OK usually). If I try to
go up to kernel 2.4.14 I get errors when compiling NVidia about
unresolved symbols when trying to insmod the alsa modules. Does this
sound like the alsa source I've got is only for kernels before 2.4.14?

Is there any way I can merge the alsa/NVidia modules into the kernel
tree or are the Makefiles etc. just tuned for the proper kernel source?

Has anyone else has success using ALSA for kernels 2.4.14+? With which
version of ALSA?
I think I've got ALSA because the standard sound modules don't support
my sound chip.

Still no success with firewire/ieee1394 either.

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk