[Gllug] Linux To MS Networking

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Wed Dec 5 16:48:33 UTC 2001

Hi,

I have just built a stable linux config (& resolved my mice problems) and
need more help :-)

I currently run an NT (or rather Win2K) domain at home and would like some
relatively easy to understand advice (bearing in mind I'm not yet
particularly linux literate) on networking.

There are two parts to this.

Basic linux networking ... my Win2K server ios currently running as a DHCP
server yet my Linux box is not picking up an address ... I could hard code
an IP address in but would rather not.. Is there anything else I shoud be
doing (on the server or the linux workstation) that can make this work. It
works fine with MS clients (Win & DOS) so I assume the changes needed are
on the linux box and, at present, I have no idea how to proceed.

Secondly how do I map read/write shares to my domain controller. Someone
suggested Samba as a solution which I plan to investigate and I have found
a couple of web-sites that offer utilities that do this ... haven't tried
them yet.

There's one other thing I'd like to ask (and I'm guessing no matter which
way I ask it some will take umbrage so I might as well go for it) ...
PLEASE if you plan to suggest something along the lines of getting rid of
NT/2K then don't ... I really would appreciate helpful advice not
evangelism :-)

Thanks

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk