[Gllug] w3m and lynx

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 17:29:36 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 16:59, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:49:58PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > Hi Harry,
> >
> > welcome to the wonderful world of web design It is a complete time and
> > money consuming nightmare trying to get a web site to look good or even
> > consistent in the various flavours of M$ IE let alone netscape, OmniWeb,
> > Konqueror, Mozilla, Opera...
>
> Hmph! Most designers seem more than happy that it only works in IE,
> citing the self-fulfilling prophesy of "more and more people viewing
> my site only use IE"

Why... WHY WHY do people think like this?
Just go as Tim Berners-Lee fer goodness sake.
The whole POINT of the web was to allow cross-platform,
access to information on heterogenous machines.

I remember the days at the start of the web and
(name drop, name drop) even swapped an email or two with Tim on
how www.cern.ch was working.

Before the Web, if anyone can remember, each platform had different
tools for email and collaboration.
So on the IBM systems we had Bitnet email and PROFS office suite -
which you needed a 3270 terminal for.
Plus SLAC-SPIRES preprint database.

On the VAX you had VAX Notes - which our experiment used extensively.
So you needed a VT100 terminal for that.
Many, many people (me included) had two terminals on their desks, and
multiple accounts, just to keep up with this information.
You might have to do a Telnet (or IBM equivalent - what was that???)
across a continent just to get the latest news or whatever.

WHY do people want to go back to these dark days?

> Roll on the rise of alternative browsing platforms like mobile phones
> and pdas, and the enforcement of laws making sure that websites are
> accessible to all. The standards are there, and if only people wrote
> to them, browsers would have to use them. As it is, we seem to kowtow
> to our machines far too much.

Absolutely.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk