[Gllug] Nutscrape tips

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Dec 5 20:18:57 UTC 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:06:20AM +0000, mike wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 23:36, David Irvine wrote:
> >
> > > But NN4 has poor style sheet suport - that's why people stuck with
> > > tables for so long !
> >
> > I'm assuming you mean using boxes for layout rather than tables? Or am i
> > missing something?

> Just to clarify - the reason it looks crap in netscape does not have
> much to do with tables
>
> If I set it up so it looks right in NS4, it looks crap in every other
> browser (NS6, Mozilla, ie, galeon, Opera) and vice-versa
>
> Mainly to do with font size - not table positioning

depends on what you are trying to do ...

if you have a bit of content that you want to display in a rectangular
area on the side of the screen ...

stylsheets allow you tto specify this - and browsers without stylsheet
support will happily ignore you and still make sense of the page - but
NN4 has broken style  sheet support - it tries to do something and often
ends up layeing serveral bits of content on top of each other !

personally I've never had much problem with font size (but then I'm not
a designer) - though I prefer font sizes specified relativley as then I
can easily make the whole lot bigger or smaller just by pressing a
button on konqeror :)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk