[Gllug] Open Office, KOffice, Windows desktop migration, roadshows etc.

The Flying Hamster hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri Dec 7 19:07:18 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 12:30:04PM +0000, Jake Jellinek wrote:
> KOffice is without doubt a better application for many many reasons
> however since it cannot (and nor can Abi Word or anything else I've
> tried) open a word2000 document and retain its formatting in any way
> remotely relating to the original document, it cannot seriously be
> suggested to companies that they migrate. (BTW if you want to test this
> I can send you a word2000 document I've been trying with)

It's not just migration, once you're there you still need to talk to
the rest of the world.  Just sitting there compaining that you're
being sent documents you can't open (M$ formatted) isn't going to make
the rest of the world convert nor will it bring in the business.

> The real danger in suggesting too soon that companies/managers switch to
> Linux / Open Source is that they are unlikely to try too many times and
> give Linux too many chances. Pick a time and a set of software that is
> going to give at least 90% functionality required otherwise people will
> tire of it and take longer to migrate once they realise it doesn't
> deliver quite what is promised.

Also pick a target in the network to prove it's use.  The server end
is a good starting point, linux is a prime candidate to replace the
external mail, intranet web and document stores and anything else
which is effectively a dumb file shifter where reliability is a must.

> I am a techie/geek and also a company director. It puts me in an unusual
> situation I think, I love using Linux at work and at home but I also
> have to concentrate on the more everyday aspects of running a business
> (staff, accounts, money etc.) so I think I have an interesting

*bing*, this is where a lot of people fall down, they forget that for
90% of computer users the computer is a tool to get their job done,
nothing more nothing less.  Anything which makes at task easier is
good, anything which makes it more difficult is bad.  Discussions on
which is 'best' don't enter into the conversation.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
If you can't join them, beat them - Lockley, Season 5, B5

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk