[Gllug] Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Linux

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 12:53:04 UTC 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 13:24, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 13:01, Anthony Mark Enrione wrote:
> > There were a couple of interesting articles over the last few days
> > about the inroads that Linux is making into the special effects
> > industry.  With the recent release of Maya this will only gather
> > pace.  It will be most satisfying when i go to see Harry Potter
>
> And Harry Potter II!

> A certain person from MPC (you know who you are!) might want to say
> more.

Alright, Alright, stop digging. I've been busy. Lots of new linux
workstations to install. Have to say I'm still finding it amusing to
see quotes in the press from people I know.
Maya3 for linux is what we are currently using, it works but crashes
too frequently for my liking. I'm hoping Maya4, which we haven't
actually got yet, will be more stable although I have my doubts about
that. The nVIDIA drivers don't help either.
As to cross-platform licensing, it is possible but keoti/aw will charge
an arm and a leg for it. Something we are currently in discussion with
them about. It would help if keoti actually understood flexlm licensing
but, sadly they don't.
Did I mention that we have linux render farm too?

There I've had my moan now. Back to the coalface.
Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk