[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Fri Dec 7 11:34:59 UTC 2001

Hi John,

> My idea would be to set up a decent laptop, and maybe a desktop machine
> too. Decent specs, well known brands. We configure them as
> Linux workstations for office use- with KDE/Koffice, Evolution, etc. etc.
> If we get people who can find the time, we offer to go in to companies to
> do a few hours demo of what Linux can do, and how it would fit
> into your existing network. Even better use Kpresenter to show some
slides!

It sounds like a good idea though I would stress that my interest in Linux
is largely personal and driven more by my interest in finding out what kind
of alternative it makes to MS at present. Sure I could probably invite
people in for a personal demonstration (i.e. to me) but it is unlikely (at
this stage) that my managers would show a lot of interest (though my
immediate line manager has agreed that there is "a need" for some Linux
skills ever since we took over (oops, I mean "merged with") GlobalOne and
is willing to buy me some books, allow time etc.).

> I think this is telling us something is about to happen - Linux on the
desktop.

Possibly but I think it will be a while before large scale adoption of
Linux happens ... mind you the computer press IS full of articles about
various companies adopting Linux so you may be right. Certainly I do think
Linux is "on the up" :-)

> It may be that it makes it easier for those people within comanies
> who are pushing Linux - they just aren't a lone voice, but they can say
'Hey
> - I can arrange a demo I sometimes feel businesses are more liable
> to listen to someone from outside, on a formal presentation,
> rather than someone internal.

Well ... I'm not exactly pushing Linux just learning at present.

What I think would be useful would be a series of workshops (e.g. in the
evening?), demo's that can be used just for that (to demo features of
Linux) but also for HOWTO's and similar as it seems to me that the major
problem for Linux in the corporate market (even as a home user desktop) is
how to get support as it is difficult to find. Hey, I'm a highly
experienced computer techie but even I find Linux hard to deal with ...
oddly though I keep on trying to single click everything on my Windows
desktop. That's confusing :-)

James

James C. Rocks,
Technical Development Consultant
Archway House,
Canary Wharf.
EQUANT
E-Mail:    james.rocks at equant.com (work)
Phone:   07771-767405 (mobile), 0207-5226856 (work)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk