[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Fri Dec 7 12:39:01 UTC 2001

Hi,

On Friday, December 7, 2001, at 11:34 AM, James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> What I think would be useful would be a series of workshops (e.g. in the
> evening?), demo's that can be used just for that (to demo features of
> Linux) but also for HOWTO's and similar

I know what you mean about howtos I helped some people to put on an LDAP
workshop recently but I think that something shorter sharper and aimed
more directly at beginners to intermediate level I am not sure that it
would be organisable but I think that a weekly 1/2 to an hour walk through
of a linux Howto document each week would be a good idea and leave plenty
of time for beer and curry afterwards.

I have also been promising myself for some time that I will get some sort
of central links for good free web based tutorials.

>  as it seems to me that the major
> problem for Linux in the corporate market (even as a home user desktop)
> is how to get support as it is difficult to find.

Linux is well supported and you have found it. :-D

> Hey, I'm a highly
> experienced computer techie but even I find Linux hard to deal with ...
> oddly though I keep on trying to single click everything on my Windows
> desktop. That's confusing :-)

I know how you feel I moved from M$ to Linux some time ago and found the
change confusing at first.  I don't know if it will work for you but I
found my skills increased faster using the command line rather than
learning loads of different GUI like Swat and linuxconfig to make life
easier, suddenly all I had to learn was Bash and Vi.

Peace Jim

"your ignorance is our strength."
--George Orwell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk