: [Gllug] content

Richard Clamp richardc at unixbeard.net
Mon Jul 30 02:47:58 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:48:26AM +0100, Simon Bunker wrote:
>[multiple virtual desktops]
> Can anyone thing of a useful task for them or is it just yet another
> gimmick?

About 2 years ago I would have said yes.  I was doing a lot of webdev,
using a lot of terminals.  At this point I used to use 3 virtual
desktops, the first for an editor and random xterms showing manpages.
The middle for doing personal stuff - email, irc, and non-work
browsing, and the third for a browser and log-tailing windows.

Then I moved onto a dual-headed system and used one desktop, on the
left were a few terms, on the right browsers, with log windows
somewhere in the middle.

Then I was luck enough to have some non-webdev work for a while, and
ended up using the framebuffer and screen, with fbi for when I needed
to peruse pr0n.

These days I'm mostly just running a term containing a screen session
for each host and a few native browser windows.  Now, as long as my
laptop doesn't die I'm almost as happy using Windows or MacOS, long live putty,
and May Payne.

Browsers are currently my least favourite apps, though OmniWeb on OSX
is lovely <insert OSX memory rant here>

--
Richard Clamp <richardc at unixbeard.net>
 "due to a construct in my mind, that makes their falling and their

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk