[Gllug] Editors

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 18:25:31 UTC 2001

If you are going to have your computer in public places now and again why
not have your /home directory mounted from a removeable hard disk? Then you
can just take it out/lock it in a safe if you know it is going to be
accessible. Chaining the actual base unit to someting solid might help too!

If you want to be extremely paranoid why not put magnetic loops in all
door/windows so that the hard disk is wiped when it goes through (just
remember when moving the thing). Or perhaps a small progrma to write random
data over the entire disk if you login with a certain password? There are
all sorts of things you could do - whether it is worth it I don't know -
personally I still get pissed off about having to use su all the time to
install new software.....

PS You should definitely read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson if you
haven't already....

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737