[Gllug] Screen capture [again ;)]

ChrisJS at aol.com ChrisJS at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 00:41:23 UTC 2001

In a message dated 30/07/2001 01:20:31 GMT Daylight Time, richard at vmlinuz.org
writes:

> Is it a particular program you want to capture?  Is it by any chance running
>  in a *term (xterm, eterm, konsole, etc.)?  It might be worth your looking
as
>  script or tee if it is a console program, or VNC and/or the nested virtual
>  server if it isn't.
>  Try describing your problem (in the computer science sense of the term) in
>  detail.  I'm sure we can come up with a solution on the list.

I'm looking at writing a 3d window manager. I know its been done, but it
always seems to be pictures floating in space, whereas I'm hoping to create a
true environment. I have plenty of ideas to justify the project (in my mind
at least !) and am coding it more as a learning experience than to release a
product, though naturally I hope that it would progress to that ;)
So the actual problem I'm currently facing is the mapping of any programs the
user runs to the 3d objects within the world. I'm using the OpenGL libraries
and that's all well and good. My plan was to convert the screen output of
each program to a texture which would then be mapped to an object in the
opengl scene. Since the majority of programs don't need a great refresh rate
and I would only be doing it for visible windows, this seemed an
appropriately speedy method.
Therein lies my question; how can I grab the display of open programs
(without them actually being put on screen) and convert that to a bitmap ?
VNC ? I've heard of it, but its too late at night to be Googling... Would
looking into the nested virtual X server involve modifying X code or simply
finding a place for my WM to sit in the display chain ?

Thanks for the interest :)

>  It sounds more interesting than bloody paranoid fantasies, anyway :-)
lol, cheers ;)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk