[Gllug] Screen capture [again ;)]

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Jul 30 00:15:26 UTC 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 ChrisJS at aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
> First off, thanks for the suggestions which were made; I've looked into them
> and realised I explained my question badly in my previous email. What I
> should have said was that I need to capture the program's output in realtime,
> preferably instead of it actually being displayed on screen. (ie. intercept
> and redirect it between the program and the video display)
>
> I'm not sure if what I want to do is feasible as a window manager... From
> what I've read, it doesn't seem as if the window managers get much control
> over the actual display of programs, just their position, framing and
> resizing. However I  really don't know much about the subject and any
> explanations/suggestions would be helpful... I apologise for the
> newbieish/ill-informed nature of my questions, that's what you get for being
> a 16yr old A-level student ;)

Is it a particular program you want to capture?  Is it by any chance running
in a *term (xterm, eterm, konsole, etc.)?  It might be worth your looking as
script or tee if it is a console program, or VNC and/or the nested virtual X
server if it isn't.

Try describing your problem (in the computer science sense of the term) in
detail.  I'm sure we can come up with a solution on the list.

It sounds more interesting than bloody paranoid fantasies, anyway :-)

> Cheers,

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk