[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:56:19 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * David Freeman
(freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> > Totally, they don't they now have to inquire as to what the other
> data
> > emails you sent him are which you encrypted and thus youhave to
> give
> > your keys. You may not by guilty of anything but you may be
> > investigated.
>
> So? Back when I was living in southampton, a girl was attacked down
> the
> road for me. The police came round one night, asking everyone in my
> block of flats where they were on the night and if they heard
> anything.
> I was glad to help and did as much as I could, although I guess I was
> as
> much a suspect as anyone else in the flats. Big deal.

Yes they came round and asked politely the question and you where
innocent till proven quiulty. I take it when you were questioned you
had a lawyer present and you were free to excercise your right to
remain silent. The fact you chose not to is your call.

> > > And that's really beside the point, a) I don't _care_ if someone
> > > knows
> > > foo at bar.com has an account on my box, and b) if I had set him up
> an
> > > account on my box, the mail would have been addressed to
> > > foo at mydomain.com anyway, as they would get an email account too
> =D
> >
> > But the fact that foo has an account is not under issue, its the
> > content of all other encrypted emails you have sent to foo, and
> also if
> > he is guilty of child pron, maybe you are into it as well. Also you
> > wouldn't send some one there password to the account the password
> is
> > for!
>
> I don't give accounts to paedophiles, but this argument is getting
> silly. I _routinely_ send someone their password to the account it's
> for, because the email of that address is always an alias for some
> other
> account they use all the time.

You don't, so you have full trust that every account you give out is
not to a paedophile? and you can guarentee this? Also they will only
need to look at where your diverts are going and the rc of your machine
etc...

> "and also if he is guilty of child pron, maybe you are into it as
> well."
>
> Like i say, you can't seem to make an argument without me being
> somehow
> guilty of something, I'm not, so I have nothing to hide, so you have
> no
> argument ;)

The fact you feel you have nothing to hide is fine, I repsect that, the
fact is I don't know how the data will be used once I hand it over and
can not trust the powers that be to handle it safely.

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk