[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:48:52 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * David Freeman
(freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> > no but it removes your right to remain silent. Thus steganography
> is a
> > better choice than encryption. For once security through obscurity
> is
> > good.
>
> Okay. Lets stretch the analogy. You get busted on suspicion of
> dealing
> heroin to school kids. You have the right to remain silent, so you
> don't
> say a word, fine. The police can STILL search your pockets and find
> the
> drugs and money. You are busted. Excellent :)

In which they find a locked case made of delrin. All attempts to open
this box fail (brute force attack). how ever they cans till infer
meaning from it, they can use X-Rays (equiv of using cribs to attack a
crytped text) etc... there are ways. Just cos we don't give them the
keys doesn't stop them, they just have to be more creative.

> Crytography is the pocket that can't be searched, it's the drug
> dealer
> who can stand there, silently grinning while the police try vainly to
> open his magic pocket or search his magic flat. I for one believe you
> need a special case to deal with such a situation.

And you have that rather large safe of equipment, which is locked on a
code lock, you don't give the key!

Personally I would tackle the problem of why he was dealing heroine.

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk