[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 14 21:54:24 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 3:42 pm, you wrote:
> Included in the list of things to do are multiple
> IP addresses per MAC address (per computer).
>
> The problem with having more MAC than IP addresses isn't that you can't
> have multiple IP addresses per NIC, it's more that you might have multiple
> NICs per MAC address.

Are you suggesting that ipv6 requires multiple ethernet MACs to run multiple
IP addresses?

How do you expect to send ethernet frames if there is more than one MAC? Or
detect loops?

ipv6 uses 64-bit host portion, whereas ethernet macs are eui-48. The eui-64
is only _derived_ from the ethernet mac, in the interests of local
aggregation among other things.

One would also hope that the obvious blights on modern networks (multiple ip
addresses per machine, NAT firewalls, etc.) are caused by the same thing: the
poor unix tradition of tying services to ports. ipv6 will mostly, if not
fully, do away with NAT (about time too), and we have so many modern
discovery protocols that we should be able to get rid of service/port tuples
once and for all...

Cheers,
						Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk