[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Nov 14 22:30:37 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 14 Nov 2001, Alex Hudson wrote:
>One would also hope that the obvious blights on modern networks (multiple ip
>addresses per machine, NAT firewalls, etc.) are caused by the same thing: the
>poor unix tradition of tying services to ports. ipv6 will mostly, if not
>fully, do away with NAT (about time too), and we have so many modern
>discovery protocols that we should be able to get rid of service/port tuples
>once and for all...

IPv6 also has a class of single per-machine addresses that are sent to
the most convenient interface, so that might get rid of multiple IP
addresses per machine. NAT has _perceived_ security benefits, so not
much chance of killing that.

Service/port tuples; well, I disagree, but no doubt if I argue the
issue old Mr. Top Poster will have a wedgie again...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk