[Gllug] Getting ISPs to change DNS entries

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 14:08:31 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 13:43, Paul Brazier wrote:
> I'm starting to get this DNS/BIND thing.
> However, I've got a problem that I think is due to the company that
> initially set up the DNS entry.
>
> We have a domain name from Freeola/getdotted.com who register it for you
> and also give free web space.
>
> Now we need it transferred to our new IP address at a new ISP - I assume
> this is up to freeola to make the necessary changes in some Top Level
> Domain nameserver, so that when someone wants to resolve the name, they
> get referred to our new ISP's nameserver.
>
> The trouble is, Freeola were contacted about two weeks ago and the name
> is still pointing to the old IP address. Is this because:
> a) this is the usual time these things take
The normal time is 24 hours to change.  The root servers normally
refresh early morning.
> b) there's something else we need to do at our end before Freeola can
> make the change.
Give them a jolly good spanking
> c) because we're leaving them, they have no incentive to be helpful.
The above answer is correct
> d) it's not up to Freeola to make the changes, we need to contact
> someone else?
They sometimes charge you when you remove a domain

> if a) or c) what's the best way to speed things up? Bombard them with
> emails/phones calls?
They often take about 45 mins to answer the phone in my experience.  Try
emails on the hour every hour.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk