[Gllug] Potential dodgy hard drive? What to do

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 8 15:47:42 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 8 Nov 2001, Peter John Cameron wrote:
>PS My uneasiness is informed by the fact that at work, one of the IBM SCSI
>drives in our RS6000 suddenly failed. It was 9 months old. IBM doesn't have
>a good drive reputation???

IBM has an excellent reputation; this latest matter is very unusual
for them. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much, but I have used
a couple of dozen IBM SCSI and IDE drives at work and home over the
years in various machines, and only ever retired them because machines
were out of drive bays and I wanted to fit a bigger
one. Notwithstanding these recent woes, I will probably continue to
buy them exclusively.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk