[Gllug] 2.4.15 - package management

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Fri Nov 23 19:33:55 UTC 2001

I've taken to using urpmi and rpmdrake with Mandrake lately. Let's hear
what people have to say about that please.. :) (my experiences are
reasonably good, once you've upgraded rpmdrake itself first (broken in 8.1
for cooker stuff), and selected reasonable mirrors). Is this just a front
end for rpm btw, or is it something different? My past experience has
always been of the compile and install variety, only just really looking at
package management.

Having said all that, on one machine I have, urpmi (and/or rpmdrake)
freezes the machine completely and puts the scroll lock light on every time
I try to add a new mirror. I suspect some sort of hardware problem causing
it, since it even happens remotely on the console, so can't be video/X
related really. All other machines I've tried it on seem to do just fine.
Occosionally I've had to clear the cache directories though.

All part of my "switching everyone over to Linux" campaign at the office...

Jake.

--On Friday, November 23, 2001 18:21:16 +0000 David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk