[Gllug] Gates, self proclaimed father of open-source

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 17:52:34 UTC 2001

> > > yeah, but Bill and Melinda(?) do give shed loads of cash
> to worthwhile
> > It's like someone stealing 50 pounds off you then expecting your
> > gratitude when they give you 1 pound back.
>
> No, its nothing like that. MS doesn't "steal" for a start,
> people "buy".

The free market doesn't work as it is supposed to under a monopoly. It
may not be stealing in the legal sense but it still is stealing in my
opinion.

> Then hes stated he wants to give 98% or something of his
> share value to
> charity.

Even if this is true they'd still be multi-millionaires.
They're really just exchanging money for power.
A little old lady who gives a pound out of her pension is a far more
impressive show of generosity.

> > This quite apart from the fact that I'm sure there's a
> sound financial
> > reason behind every donation.
>
> Yeah, its all part of the Illuminatis plot to take over
> greenpeace, isn't
> it?

Not sure about that :) I'm not really a conspiracy theorist (honestly!),
just very cynical about the motives of the rich and powerful.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk