[Gllug] Some network queries

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Mon Oct 15 15:25:16 UTC 2001

Hi all,

many thanks for the links to nifty telnet I am looking into now it is
seems to cover at least in part of what we are looking for the other
problem is certain proprietary file types, flash and shockwave spring to
mind, break if they are not transfered correctly either by SMB or
Appletalk via the Netatalk module or tared before ftp.

It just goes to show that you shouldn't take for granted what
On Monday, October 15, 2001, at 02:56 PM, Steve Nicholson wrote:

>> There is a graphical ssh client available at
>> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~jonasw/freeware/niftyssh/
>>

> Last time I used this (last year) it was just a telnet client with ssh
> added in, no point and click GUI for shifting files which I think is
> what he is after for Mac users.

It is exactly what we are after I know I could go all hard faced geek and
expect them to learn my stuff but at the end of the day these people have
degrees in fine art not computer science.  You should see the fear in
their eyes when you tell them OSX has a command line. ;-)

Thought to be fair the lead designers have a good understanding of the
applications and protocols we techies use and the reasons we do things.

>   There is WinSCP and Ixplorer (think I
> got the name wrong, WinSCP is better anyway) that are bother for Windose
> but nothing round for Mac's.  I did a quick search on Google earlier to
> check on the original post.

We only have one designer using M$ and he is more than capable of using
putty with SSH activated.

Thanks Jim

"Media relations" need to be outlawed in every country in the world.  In
the best case, media relations are incestuous relationships between
dimwitted first cousins; on the web it is one of the worst examples of
inbreeding by the holy alliance of ad agencies and pixel mechanics of
dubious talent.
--The Head Lemur, Linux Journal August 2001

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk