[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 10:44:40 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:56:15AM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I know proxies don't get a good rap, and I know geeks would prefer to not
> have them.

When we geeks have no bandwidth because all the links are fully
utilised due to everyone else's http traffic, I think vocal geeks
might change their tune :)

> To argue that all transparent proxies are bad, for example, is not going to
> cut it with network engineers. To argue that there is not enough awareness of
> good proxying practice is a different matter, and one I would support.

In addition, I believe that producing a document describing the
problems that transparent web proxies can cause is a worthy task,
but most people just won't care.  So perhaps it may be more useful
to also list:

- all reputable ISPs who do not force use of a transparent web
  proxy.
- ISPs with known proxy problems (this would have to be kept updated
  so that companies could redeem themselves)
- Some form of stats?

Then the small percentage of customers who *do* care can easily find
an ISP that is compatible with their needs.

This may then have the knock-on effect that you desire by
alerting the other more mainstream ISPs to the real scale of the
demand for such service.

In short I am not sure you can force the masses to care, and the
ISPs certainly won't because transparent poxying makes life much
easier.  The best thing is probably to direct those who do, to ISPs
who can help them.