[Gllug] [Q] Digital Camera Recomendations

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Oct 18 11:15:08 UTC 2001

On Thu 18 Oct, Jim Cheetham made the following spurious claims:

> Some cameras just eat batteries ... I know of a Canon bought recently
> (don't know the model, sorry) that has a 1 hour lifetime. Not much use
> out of the house/office ...

This is generally caused by the lack of a normal viewfinder which
means you have to use the LCD screen to line up the shot.  A number of
problems there: 1) try holding a camera steady without it pressed to
your face; 2) the CCD is running all the time while you line up the
shot; 3) the LCD and backlight is running all the time while you line
up the shot; 4) in bright light conditions you can't see the LCD
screen.

Moral of the story: buy one that has an ordinary viewfinder and turns
the LCD on only when you want it to, like after the shot has been
taken.  Recent (as in last few years) Kodak models are excellent for
this.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net