[Gllug] Re: Super Computing Time

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 22:07:52 UTC 2001

On Mon, 08 Oct 2001, John Hearns gibbered:
> Oh, and that's why Crays were built in a circular, or part-circular shape.
> (And with a very nice seat built in. Pity PC makers don't put nice comfy
> seats on top :-)

And not just a seat, a *heated* seat.

> Sigh. Real computers. Sigh.

Oh, yes, would that Seymour Cray were still around.

> And also the big new Compaq cluster at Pittsburgh Supercomputer Centre
> is crammed into nine racks as close together as possible.
> Longest interconnect is 33feet.

How depressingly distant. They're wasting *microseconds*... (oh, and I
expect you'll find the longest interconnect is 10m and a gratuitous
metric->Imperial converter kicked in somewhere...)

--
`A truly dreadful film destined to be a cult classic for masochists.'
                                              --- Chris Priest on _A.I._.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk