[Gllug] OT Voice to email, unified messaging?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Wed Oct 24 11:00:04 UTC 2001

Does anyone know of services that offer voice mail forwarding to email
address and sms alert of messages being left?  Similar to messagepoint
http://www.messagepoint.com/. I know Excite offer a free service (use it
all ready) which is the UK free version of messagepoint but you have to
log into check if you have messages which is a pain.

I don't mind paying for it but would prefer to pay less than £10 a month
since I don't get that many messages.  I would prefer a local rate or
national rate number, there are a lot of sites that all point to dmClub
with their 07050 numbers that cost 37p/min to the caller during the day.
I may as well use my mobile at that.

Other ones I have come across are:
jConnect http://www.j2.com/ $12.50USD/month, don't have SMS (I think
they used to be JFax).

Call Sciences http://www.callsciences.co.uk/ have 070039 phone number @
£2.99/month & 0870 @ £6.99 10p/notification.

Just found this one that might do the trick http://www.efax.co.uk/ 0870
number for £20/year only does "voice to email", probably go with this
since I can  do the sms alerts through Orange I think.

If BT were switched on they would add this to their normal answer
service, then if they where switched on they wouldn't be in so much
debt.

Anyone know of any others or used/using these systems??  I would prefer
something that is Linux browser friendly as well.

Why do I want this?  Why not use mobile?  I'm going home to NZ for 3
months and would like to have one number for people to call rather than
my mobile. I would also rather use this as my business number rather
than my home phone, hence the requirement for sms alerts.

Thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk