[Gllug] Strange Attractor Talk

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 08:54:39 UTC 2001

is that same as consume? posted on slashdot

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1436/byt20010926s0003/1001_bar.html

--- Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote: > On Tuesday 02 October 2001
14:09, you wrote:
> > Emmm... time for some fighting talk.
> > If you are interested in the project, and are interested in these issues,
> > then why not join in?
>
> :) I guess because it looks like a pie-in-the-sky club.
>
> > Join the consume list, and the consume legal list.
>
> I have read through the archives in the past. I don't remember anything at
> all practical going on. There seemed to be a lot of talk about how it should
> work, etc., but no concrete evidence of anything that could be strung
> together. consume-legal seemed very quiet, and touched on issues such as
> spectrum a little, but people seemed more interested in generating AUPs
> rather than addressing key issues (ie.: is consume legal in the first
> place??).
>
> Even a brief look through I had just now, consume-routing was hilarious. The
> rejection of private addressing, the lack of any firm idea of how such a
> system might route without a mother-of-all routing table. The standardisation
>
> on ipv6 immediately makes consume impractical for anyone except hardcore
> geeks (I have too many devices which talk ipv4 for that to be practical, and
> I expect any 802.11 gear I get - iPaqs spring to mind - may not even support
> it even if I wished to use it).
>
> Perhaps I'm being overly sceptical, but it does seem to be a drop-out zone
> for Unix admins wanting to set up some private empire using expensive
> equipment, uncommon protocols and hideous OSes., longing for the good old
> days of punch-cards and mainframes.
>
> Flames welcome :)
>
> (and probably deserved)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex.
>

> --

=====

walid at melinux.com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk