[Gllug] Re: Electronic VAT returns etc

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Oct 20 12:16:17 UTC 2001

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 11:18:21AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Story comes from the 1996/1997 time frame, when conciousness about
> electronic media etc. was just permeating hospitals.
> Some bright spark professor or consultant at Guys got grant money to put
> up the house doctor's handbook
> on the Intranet (which had barely been created at the time).
> Philippa was employed temporarily to do this. Good show, I hear ou all
> say.
> I could have wept when she was ordered by this doctor do do it in MS
> Help format.
> 'S true - they got her to write the documents in Word (or something) and
> ran a translator to
> MS Help format. Lord help us....

Sounds like the evil RoboHelp.  The only argument in favour of hlp files
is that they are one file and thus more compact and easier to
distribute.  But that has no relevance on an intranet.  And that's
leaving aside the fact that MS made the help file yet another document
which can contain executable code and so another virus threat.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?