[Gllug] Nothing Simple

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:55:26 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 15:14, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> Hurm.  X config/init scripts are not something Red Hat do well, IMO.
> Right mess.  At one point I got annoyed enough to write a summary of
> startx on Red Hat (and how it *should* work) and you can find it on
> my old website:

It is, as you say, a total mess. And utterly undocumented, as far as I
can tell.

> http://website.lineone.net/~brichardson/linux/

We have been doing a lot of X customisation recently, I wish I'd been
able to read this first. Like you I had to work out what was going on
by trawling through the /etc/X11 scripts.

> It's for Red Hat 5.x but nothing much changed in 6.x or 7.0

No more wm-style I think. Now we have /etc/sysconfig/desktop.
Anyway I think this will make an excellent starting point for my own
documentation, will let people know when it's finished. Would this make
a Gllug talk do you think?

Huw

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk