[Gllug] [Q] Digital Camera Recomendations

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 15:54:32 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 03:49:04PM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >And my Canon S10. Irritating as blazes when you're trying to take pics
> >of birds in flight (at the Hawk Conservancy, Andover, if anyone wants
> >a really good day out - but get there before midday). I've learned to
> >anticipate and try and press the button early, then delete if it
> >doesn't work...
>
> Yes, but at least birds are relatively slow moving. At the British Grand
> Prix, I ended up with lots and lots and *lots* of pictures of emtpy track,
> where a few fractions of a second earlier there had been a Formula 1 car
> moving at 200+ mph. You can try and anticipate, and press the button in
> advance, but at those speeds, you have to be pretty lucky. That said, by
> the end of the race, my hit rate was noticably higher than at the start.
>
> FWIW, you can minimise the delay by ensuring you have fresh batteries.
> At least on the Olympus C-2020 Z I've found that the delay increases as
> the batteries run down.

so it's definately not just my camera then ...

does anyone know if this is a factor that varies much from camera to camera
it annoys me enought that I have been thinking of getting a new one.

but it sounds like some of the newer cameras are just as bad :(

I find the hardest thing to get right is people, at least cars and birds
move in predictable ways, trying to predict smiles can be tricky!

The other odd thing is that I often don't know when the picture has
been taken - the camera is disconcertingly quiet - film cameras make a
click you can feel even in a load environment.

--

Sean