[Gllug] [Q] Digital Camera Recomendations

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 17:54:22 UTC 2001

On Fri 19 Oct, William Palfreman wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:
>
> > > FWIW, you can minimise the delay by ensuring you have fresh batteries.
> > > At least on the Olympus C-2020 Z I've found that the delay increases as
> > > the batteries run down.
>
> Yes.  I used to "maintain" that camera for my boss - who was a very nice
> person, no criticism of him intended.  But the camera was a nightmare.
> Batteries would run down in minutes, and it wouldn't be able to work its
> serial connection accept when perfectly fresh.  I think if I were going to
> use it at a racetrack I would be tempted to bring along a small diesel
> generator...

   I have not used a digital still camera, but is the delay caused by the
need to focus the lens? Some still film cameras insist on going through the
full focus range for every shot, while others are able to sense when they
are going in the wrong direction. A friend of mine who used to work for
Nikon tried fully defocussing one of their professional cameras before
pushing the button while following racing cars. There was no discernable
delay, and only one out of 36 was soft. The penalty was a large battery
consumption. Another problem with powered lenses can be the servo system
"hunting" backwards and forwards around the correct point.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk