[Gllug] 8139 driver problem

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Sep 27 06:00:02 UTC 2001

At 16:44 26/09/01 +0000, you wrote:

>you may need to configure the card start off with the command ifconfig -a
>it should tell you more than you ever needed to know about your NIC.  The
>man ifconfig or info ifconfig commands should also help you to start
>tracking down the problem.
>
>If that fails you may want to check that you compiled rt8139 support in
>your kernel lsmod is the command I think.

8139too.o is the driver I'm using but on my other box I'm using rtl8139.o
(kernel 2.2.19).  Apparently the 8139too is based on the rtl8139 and I
think rtl3139 has been dropped from the later kernels. It's defiantly
talking to the hub because I can have it working for maybe an hour or two
before it just stops listening.  There are no problems at all while it is
working, I can have any traffic I want going over it and I've been using it
heavily.  I've managed to find a few mailing list postings about a patch to
2.4.5 to do with the problem I have and it seems to remove the line that
prints the error I'm getting so I'm hoping it's a fix to my problem.  Might
just remove the error message and leave me with nothing though!

JD

P.S. Sorry about the reply-to thing, I didn't notice that.

>Peace Jim
>
>"He who knows tells it not, he who tells knows it not." Lao Tsu
>
>On Wednesday, September 26, 2001, at 02:14 PM, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a RealTek 8139 Network card and am running RedHat 7.1 with
>> updated
>> rpm's (Including the kernel rpm making it version 2.4.3-12).  My network
>> connection keeps being dropped (By dropped I mean it doesn't respond to
>> any
>> network traffic even though the link lights are on) for no apparent reason
>> and the only problem I can see in the log files is the following:
>> media is unconnected, link down, or incompatible connection
>>
>> But this happens at boot time and the link can be running for ages before
>> anything goes wrong.  I don't think I had any problems with the default
>> RH7.1 kernel (2.4.2 I think) but I only had it running for about 2 hours
>> before upgrading.
>>
>> I don't know which (if any) log/configuration files are needed to diagnose
>> this so I haven't included any with this mail.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this or tell me how to downgrade my kernel
>> rpm
>> or where to find a patch so that I can fix my current kernel source and
>> compile my own?
>>
>> JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk