[Gllug] automagic DISPLAYs

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Wed Sep 19 19:05:24 UTC 2001

On 19 Sep 2001, Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Simon Trimmer said:
> > Hi All,
> > A question, someone must have tried this before...
> >
> > I want to get the DISPLAY environment variable set to the hostname from
> > which I logged in from, anyone think of a reliable method?
> >
> > Don't suggest ssh X redirection, machines have no X libraries :)
>
> This makes no sense. If the machines have no X libraries, how are you
> going to run any X applications on them?
>
> (Or do you mean that your X server boxes have no X client libraries on?
> Why do you care; all you need is an X server.)

Sorry I was getting confused; to X client libraries but nothing else (no core
xfree)

> Further, this breaks as soon as you telnet from A to B and thence to C,
> because DISPLAY would get set to something on B, which has no X server
> running.

Tangent warning :)
I just want the simple case of two machines,

> A better thing to do is just to leave DISPLAY alone through all your
> telnets and sshes; things will just work then (except that you have to
> get X authentication set up properly).

except by default DISPLAY ends up as ":0.0"

It's not really an issue as I have some munging of SSH environment variables
that work, I was just looking for a one shot reliable solution.

Considering the test machine has a few hundred gig of disk perhaps I
shouldn't care about wasting some?

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk