[Gllug] Short tutorials?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Sep 4 17:51:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 19:58, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 05:44:33PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> > One on networking - ports and all that,
>
> I imagine that would be a quite short talk ;)

It could be, so long as it was restricted simply to that stuff about
ports. Effectively, a quick talk on network/transport addressing, and
what ports are, would go a long way to getting people switched on enough
to understand things like the netfilter HOWTOs for themselves.

> > and one on Grub - why its better than Lilo, and how to change over.
>
> grub is ace. I have it here, booting Linux, HURD, and the filesystem stuff is cool. Although its ideas of numbers is completely wonky.
>
> I wouldn't advocate people switching to it necessarily though - it's a pain in the arse to setup properly.

Well, that's the problem. If we're talking about "beginners" stuff, then
we generally want to be sticking to stuff we'd recommend everyone to
try, or information that everyone can use.

Personally, I'd find a quick chat on Grub useful, but then, I'm not a
beginner in Linux - just in Grub, being as how I only heard of it last
week. :-)

> > These sessions very definitely aimed at the beginner - the more knowlegeable
> > audience being encouraged to stay at the bar.

The more knowledgable being politely asked to shut up until the end,
anyway, for beginners stuff. Nothing worse than being interrupted
because you happened to make a slight simplification.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk