[Gllug] [OT]

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Sep 14 14:00:14 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 01:34:27PM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> If it is the transmission at the those frequencies under a certain wattage
> as far as I am aware yes it is because it is a recognised standard and no
> licence is required to use the gear.

It's not unlicenced; it's unregulated. You need a licence to access any part
of the spectrum; some portions of which are unregulated and essentially
unlicenced. But - this means that you have a right to use certain hardware
to access the spectrum: there are still restrictions as regarding use,
always.

> If you mean because people will be able to effectively browse the net
> anonymously with little or no way of tracing them I am not so sure.

No, I don't mean either of these. I mean providing internet access to the
public via 802.11 is illegal.

Your further posting about peering agreements means that consume obviously
haven't realised this?

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk