[Gllug] [OT]

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Sep 14 12:53:34 UTC 2001

Another point that I forgot is if I was connected to the web via your ADSL
and was running around cracking this and cracking that and you where
blissfully unaware of my actions. When if I was caught because they traced
me through you as my ISP effectively how much of the blame will rest on your
shoulders.

I believe that they are going to be drawing up peering agreements to get
around this but I am not sure of the legal consequences.

The other way around it is to do what BT does. I do not think that they have
thought of this yet.

BT will supply you with a connection to a service provider anywhere in the
world.
BT is not held in any way accountable for your actions while you do this
because they are transparent to the user effectively. They are only
providing the hardware to get you there and no other service.

What could be done by consume although I am not too sure of the technical
aspect of it is to provide the same service as BT. Effectively you would
allow me to connect using your hardware but nothing else and then out to my
own service provider. There would be no fancy routing etc from the machine
or monitoring of any sort this means that you are effectively just doing
what BT does and providing the hardware to get the user to his ISP.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk