[Gllug] simple lan

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 18:20:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Leigh Mason wrote:

> > On Tuesday 18 September 2001 16:09, you wrote:
> >> No. My guess would be it's because you're using a patch cable without
> >> a hub. If you're connecting two machines directly, then you'll need a
> >> crossover cable (or is it straight through? I can never remember which
> >> is which).
> >
> > Crossover for straight thru and uplinks, patch for the rest. I think he
> > mentioned he was using cross, though.
>
> well... on the box it said cross over, but on examination of the cable it
> says "belkin cat5e patch cable"

This needs to be checked. Check the dodgy ascii art:

----------          ----------
#12345678#          #12345678#
#||||||||#          #||||||||#
#||||||||#          #||||||||#
#||||||||#          #||||||||#
\        /          \        /
 \      /            \      /
  |    |              |    |
  |    |              |    |
  |    |              |    |

1. Hold both ends of the cable together so you can see the brass pins as
in the diagram.
2. Look at the colours of the wires connected to each pin on each
terminator.

The wiring I use for a patch cable is:

1. white and orange
2. orange and white
3. white and green
4. blue and white
5. white and blue
6. green and white
7. white and brown
8. brown and white

In contrast, wiring for a crossover cable is "assymetric".
568A standard specs the following:

term1     term2
1      -  3
2      -  6
3      -  1
4      -  5
5      -  4
6      -  2
7      -  6
8      -  7

where we've used numbers to represent the color of the wiring.

For reference, a patch cable in this form would be:

term1     term2
1      -  1
2      -  2
3      -  3
4      -  4
5      -  5
6      -  6
7      -  7
8      -  8

As you can see, they're very different.

So what sort of cable is it?

Regards

Kieran
PS Sorry if this is a bit verbose: I thought I'd write this stuff down
before I forget it...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk