[Gllug] media files

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Sun Sep 23 19:31:16 UTC 2001

On 23 Sep 2001 15:16:46 -0400, Subba Rao wrote:
> The main goal is to block the crut files from Usenet. They do have files that
> pander to everyones desires.

S'great, innit.

> What are the most effective practices to block such content from the Internet?

I'm guessing you mean "from my sensitive eyes" rather than "from the
Internet", since blocking 'adult' (or indeed, any) content from the
Internet is going to be near-impossible both technically and socially if
enough people want to see it.

Since you use your ISPs news server, there isn't a way for you to block
adult content off from yourself.  Fortunately, adult content is often
segregated away - you're at least a little unlikely to be /too/ immersed
in porn if you steer clear of the alt.binaries hierarchy, for example.
Yahoo and Google will try and filter the 'net from you if you ask, via a
Family Search and SafeSearch option respectively.

Hope this helps,

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a